Some people wear braces for months even years, therefore you want to pick a braces color that you’ll be happy with. Red, blue, green, purple, and pink are some of the most common braces colors or you can mix and match to create your own color combination. If you are having trouble picking the right color for your braces, check out these tips and consult with your orthodontist.
What Color Braces Should I Get
There are many ways to decide what color braces are right for you. Should you pick your favorite color? Should they match your outfit? Or maybe they should coordinate with an upcoming holiday!
There are a few things to consider when it comes to choosing the best braces band colors. Some colors make your teeth look whiter and others make your teeth look more yellow.
Here are tips for picking the best braces color:
- White braces sound like a great option, but they can actually turn into an off white color after drinking and eating certain foods. They can also make your teeth appear more yellow, since your tooth enamel may not be as naturally white as the bands.
- Darker colors such as dark purple and navy blue make your teeth look whiter because it counteracts the natural color of your teeth.
- However, dark green and dark brown can look like you have food stuck in your teeth.
- Yellow and gold can bring out the natural yellow of your teeth, making them appear more yellow than they actually are.
- Not everyone has the same color teeth. For people with teeth that have a yellow tint, it is best to opt for clear or silver bands. For people with a natural white color, it is best to choose black to make your teeth appear even whiter.
Braces Color Ideas
- Favorite color: An obvious choice is to pick a color that you already love! Even if you have more than one favorite color, choose them both for a more unique smile!
- Match your outfit: Take a look at what colors appear most in your closet and then pick a braces color that best complements your style! Adult patients often pick a neutral color that closely matches the color of their enamel, complementing any outfit or occasion.
- Holidays and Events: Patrick’s Day, Fourth of July, Christmas, etc. A fun way to get into the holiday spirit is to have the color of your braces match with upcoming holidays. Also consider coordinating your braces color for any special occasions like weddings and graduations.
- Your favorite sports team: Show your favorite sports team support by putting their team colors on display with your braces!
- Colors that complement your eyes: Green bands would best complement brown eyes. Blue, pink, and lilac complement blue eyes; while purple, red, green, and orange intensify green eyes.
Braces Colors That Make Your Teeth Look Whiter
Darker colors such as black, dark purple and navy blue make your teeth look whiter. Other colors that make your teeth appear brighter are red and light blue.
Sometimes it is beneficial to go with neutral colors. Silver, gray, and clear colored bands won’t make your teeth appear any whiter, they also won’t put bring attention to any of the stains in your teeth. As always, it is best to avoid coffee, tea, and dark sodas to prevent stains on your teeth and potentially altering the color of your bands.
Alternatives to Traditional Metal Braces
If you don’t like the color you choose initially, don’t get bummed out. You can change the color of your rubber bands any time you have an appointment to get your braces tightened. If none of these options peak your interest, talk to your orthodontist to see if you are a potential candidate for non-traditional braces like ceramic and clear braces, or clear removable aligners.
While choosing the color of your braces may seem like an important task, the upkeep of braces and practicing good oral hygiene is just as important! Be sure to avoid certain foods and brush after every meal making sure you clean around the brackets of your braces well. It is also important to visit your dentist every 4-6 months to ensure your teeth are on the right track to a healthy smile!