Some people wear braces for months even years, therefore you want to pick a braces color that you’ll be happy with. Red, blue, green, purple, and pink are some of the most common braces colors, or you can mix and match to create your own color combination. If you are having trouble picking the right color for your braces, check out these tips and consult with your orthodontist.
Braces Color Wheel: What Braces Colors are Available?
Unlike the early days of braces, modern braces wearers have a greater selection than ever before. You can literally choose from a braces color wheel that includes multiple shades of every color of the rainbow. From candy apple red to deep maroon, royal blue or a pretty shade of teal, you have more choices than ever when it comes to colored braces.
How Often Can I Change Braces Colors?
Since your orthodontist will tighten your wires at every visit, you can choose new colors at each appointment. Depending on how often you go to the orthodontist, you could end up with new colors every four to eight weeks. That means you don’t have to live with a color too long if it doesn’t work for you!
What is the Best Color for Your Braces?
Over the years, we’ve received many questions from patients about braces, but one question that always comes up is“What color braces should I get?”. There are many ways to decide what color braces are right for you. Should you pick your favorite color? Should they match your wardrobe? Should they coordinate with an upcoming holiday or special event? These are just a few things to consider when choosing the best braces band colors.
How To Choose the Right Color Braces For You
There are several approaches you can take to select the best braces color for you at each orthodontic appointment. Just like anything else you wear, your braces can say something about you.
What Your Braces Color Says About You
Some colors represent different emotions and can say something about you as a person. It’s about more than a signature color, it’s about the meaning behind a color.
- Red is often associated with anger or passion, but it also represents power, strength and courage.
- Blue can reflect calmness, intelligence, and loyalty.
- Green can represent good fortune, harmony, and growth.
- Orange isn’t just a popular fruit, it can be a popular braces color for enthusiastic and creative people.
- Purple doesn’t just represent wealth and royalty, it’s often treated as a mystical color.
- Yellow is about the most cheerful color you can choose.
- White usually symbolizes innocence, hope, and purity.
- Black can be the color of mourning or convey power, elegance, and strength.
What to Consider When Choosing Your Braces Colors
Choosing your braces color may not be as easy as it sounds, especially with so many options available. There are some things you may want to consider before choosing the best braces colors for you, even if it’s only a temporary color!
- Think about your diet. If you drink a lot of coffee or eat berries they could stain your band colors.
- Consider the shade of your teeth (they probably aren’t pure white). Some colors can make your teeth look off-colored. Hint: Darker colors make your teeth look whiter.
- Your complexion matters with your braces as much as it does with the clothes you wear. If you don’t like how you look wearing a certain color, then you may not want it on your teeth either.
Braces Color Ideas
Scrambling to pick a color before your next appointment? Don’t worry, we’ve got some ideas to help you make the best choice before you hit that chair.
- Favorite color: An obvious choice is to pick a color that you already love! If you have more than one favorite color, you can choose them both for a smile that makes a statement!
- Match your outfit: Take a look at what colors are most common in your closet and then pick a braces color that enhances your style! Adult patients often pick a neutral color that closely matches their enamel, complementing any outfit or occasion.
- Holidays and Events: St. Patrick’s Day, Fourth of July, Christmas, and many other holidays have signature colors. A fun way to get into the holiday spirit is match the color of your braces with an upcoming holiday. Also, consider coordinating your braces color for any special occasions like weddings or graduations.
- Your favorite sports team: Show your team spirit by putting your favorite team’s colors on display with your braces!
- Colors that complement your eyes: Green bands are complementary to brown eyes. Blue, pink, and lilac complement blue eyes; while purple, red, green, and orange intensify green eyes.
- Celebrate the change of season with pastels for spring, bright colors and neons for summer, oranges and reds for fall, and dark blues and purples for winter.
- Show your support for a cause by choosing appropriate colors (like pink for October, which is Breast Cancer Awareness month).
Braces Color Combinations
What happens when you can’t decide between two colors? Why not do both? That’s right, go with a color combination that gives you the best of both worlds. If you’re stumped, here are some popular color combinations for braces:
Braces Colors That Make Your Teeth Look Whiter
If you’re really hoping to make your teeth appear whiter than they are, choosing the right braces color is a good start. Darker colors such as black, dark purple and navy blue make your teeth look whiter. If none of these strike your fancy, try red or light blue to make your teeth appear brighter.
Sometimes it is beneficial to go with neutral colors. Silver, gray, and clear colored bands won’t make your teeth appear whiter, but they also don’t draw attention to discolorations on your teeth. As always, it is best to avoid coffee, tea, and dark sodas to prevent stains on your teeth and potentially altering the color of your bands.
Braces Colors to Avoid
Unfortunately, not every color works for everybody. Some colors may look great on one person but translate to disaster for you. We put together a list of some colors that don’t work well for everyone.
- White braces sound like a great option, but they can actually turn into an off-white color after drinking and eating certain foods. They can also make your teeth appear more yellow, since your tooth enamel may not be as naturally white as the bands.
- Darker colors such as dark purple and navy blue make your teeth look whiter because they contrast with the natural color of your teeth. Be careful with dark colors, though, as dark green and dark brown can give the appearance of food stuck in your teeth.
- Yellow and gold can bring out the natural yellow of your teeth, making them appear more yellow than they actually are.
- Not everyone has the same color teeth. For people with teeth that have a yellow tint, it is best to opt for clear or silver bands. For people with a natural white color, it is best to choose black to make your teeth appear even whiter.
Alternatives to Traditional Metal Braces
Invisalign® involves the use of clear aligners, called trays, to straighten teeth. The trays are easily removed to eat, drink, brush, and floss normally. Even though the trays are removable, it is necessary to wear Invisalign at least 22 hours per day to achieve the desired results.
Invisible Ceramic + Clear Braces
Also known as invisible braces, clear and ceramic braces function like traditional braces but with less obvious brackets. Though they are connected by a thin metal wire, the brackets blend with the natural color of your teeth so they are more discreet than traditional braces.
While choosing the color of your braces may seem like an important task, the upkeep of braces and practicing good oral hygiene is just as important! Be sure to avoid certain foods and brush after every meal making sure you clean around the brackets of your braces well. It is also important to visit your dentist regularly, and see your hygienist every 3 months for a cleaning, to ensure your teeth are on the right track to a healthy smile!