Article at a Glance
- Summer is an ideal time to get braces because kids schedules are more open, and they have more time to adjust and embrace new routines.
- Be prepared for summer camp, vacations, and long weekends with a travel kit complete with toothbrush, floss, and orthodontic wax.
- Even though some foods are off limits with braces, you can still find ways to enjoy summer cook-outs like cutting the corn off the cob and substituting fresh berries for hard candies and taffy.
When Should You Get Braces?
Whether or not you’re concerned about your child’s teeth being straight, summer is a great time to have an evaluation with an orthodontist. Usually, children between the ages of 8 and 14 have lost most of their baby teeth and most of their adult teeth have grown in, but they are still growing. This is the ideal time to explore orthodontic treatment. Taking advantage of this period of growth can lead to optimal results for your child’s teeth. While they may not be excited to get braces over summer break, it could be the ideal opportunity.
Why Summer is the Best Time to Get Braces
Even though it’s probably not at the top of your child’s to-do list, there are actually a lot of reasons to get your child started with braces over summer break.
- Starting treatment during summer gives your child more time to adjust to having braces.
- When kids first get braces, their whole mouth can be a little tender. Being home during summer means your child can get through that initial braces discomfort at home.
- Developing a solid oral care routine can take your child a little practice, but doing it at home with your guidance can ease the transition.
- It’s much easier to schedule appointments when you aren’t working around class schedules and after school activities. Getting the first few appointments done before school starts will make those school-year appointments run more smoothly for you and your child.
- Kids tend to grow more during the summer, so take advantage of summer growth spurts to ensure teeth move while they’re growing.
Caring for Braces in Summer
Whether your child already has braces, or it is new for them this summer, consider these tips to make summer go smoothly.
- Be sure your child has a travel kit wherever they go so they can follow through with their normal oral care routines.
- Remember to pack orthodontic wax in case of a loose bracket or protruding wire. If a wire is poking out, use a pencil eraser to nudge it back in and cover the spot with orthodontic wax.
- Selecting the right summer braces colors can be a challenge. Why not try red, white, and blue, team colors, or go bold and bright with oranges and reds?
- If you’re on vacation or away for the weekend, take your orthodontist’s contact information with you in case of an emergency.
How to Enjoy Summer Cook-outs with Braces
Summer cook-outs can make it tough to avoid certain foods, but that doesn’t mean it’s impossible for your child to enjoy their favorites. You may have to be a little creative, but there are plenty of foods your child can eat with braces.
- Corn-on-the-cob may be a staple at many cookouts, but it’s not the best choice for a kid with braces. Try cutting the corn off the cob so your child can savor the sweetcorn without breaking a bracket.
- Instead of serving whole apples, try apple slices served with a dip or other soft fruits.
- Skip hard candies and taffy. Try fresh berries and melons that are in season to help with rehydrating during summer heat and to satisfy sweet cravings.
Getting Started with Braces
Summer is in full swing, but it’s not too late to get your child started with braces before school starts. There are plenty of options for every situation, and when your child has a beautiful smile, they’ll thank you for getting started now.
If you’re interested in getting braces for your child, Jefferson Dental Care can help. Offering traditional metal braces, invisible ceramic and clear braces, and Invisalign clear aligners, your child will be in good hands. Even better, we offer affordable braces, accept many dental plans, and even offer a dental discount plan to provide additional savings. Contact the Jefferson Dental Care clinic nearest you to make an appointment today.