You’ve had your braces on for months, maybe even years, and the moment you’ve been waiting on is finally here. It’s time to get your braces off! There are more things to look forward to in addition to the perfect smile. Take a look at what else you’ll love about getting your braces off!
- You now have straight teeth! One of the most common benefits that patients look forward to when getting their braces removed is straighter teeth. Having straight teeth alleviates the risk of other oral health problems.
- You can eat your favorite foods. Can you remember the taste of corn on the cob, ribs, or biting into an apple? Or maybe you want to be able to chew gum again. Now that you don’t have to worry about damaging your braces, you can finally resume eating all the foods you couldn’t eat with braces.
- It’s easier to chew food. Braces correct improper jaw alignment that previously made it difficult to chew and receive proper nutrients. Braces also fix crowding in the mouth and helps prevent particles of food and bacteria from getting stuck between teeth.
- It’s easier to clean your teeth. Brushing your teeth while wearing braces, does not allow you to clean the entire surface of the tooth and it can be difficult to floss between teeth and wires. Once your braces are off, you can resume your normal dental care routine.
- You can enjoy the smooth surface of your teeth. You can wipe your tongue along the surface of your teeth and feel a clear surface. Brackets, rubber band hooks and wires often irritate soft tissues such as cheeks, lips and gums. Say goodbye to dental wax!
- You can whiten your teeth again. With a smooth surface you can easily whiten your teeth without missing spots or experiencing discoloration.
- No more wire tightening! That pain from getting your braces tightened every 4-6 weeks is finally behind you!
- You’ll sleep better. People most commonly grind their teeth at night (bruxism) due to improper jaw alignment or having crooked teeth. Once your braces are removed, you’ll experience less jaw pain attributed to bruxism.
- Your speech will improve. Braces shift teeth into the proper position to improve speech impediments that occur from misaligned teeth.
- You’ll reduce your risk of tooth decay and gum disease. Once your teeth and jaw are properly aligned, they are able to be properly cleaned which reduces the risk of gum disease and other oral health concerns.
- No more jaw pain. Jaw pain is common for patients whose braces are used to realign the jaw to correct an underbite or overbite. No more jaw pain, irritation, or jaw popping!
- You can smile with confidence! No more hiding your smile in pictures anymore! With healthy, straight teeth, there is no reason not to be proud of your smile!
As you can see, there are many oral health benefits that come with getting your braces removed. However, orthodontic treatment doesn’t end when the braces come off. To prevent your new smile from shifting, you must wear a retainer as instructed by your orthodontist.
And even more one of the best parts of getting your braces off is getting FREE teeth whitening at our offices. Ask how you can enhance your new smile with take-home custom whitening trays! Did you just get your braces off? Share your pictures with us!
Want to learn more about braces and get a FREE orthodontic consultation? Find the Jefferson Dental & Orthodontics nearest you, then book an appointment!