Reasons to Smile
It may be challenging to list reasons to be thankful in a time like this, but it is not impossible. If you step back and evaluate your situation, you are sure to find something to be grateful for. Sometimes you just need to reframe things in a positive light.
- Instead of using words like lockdown and social isolation, try being grateful for extra time with your family. Take this time to bond and make new memories.
- You may have to get creative with meals and go back to basics over the next few weeks. However, having food on the table is definitely a reason to be thankful.
- Don’t look at quarantine as being stuck at home. You’re safe at home with a roof over your head and a bed to sleep in.
- Instead of mourning the loss of certain activities, take advantage of the changing weather. You can still work in your yard, go for a walk, or even start a garden!
- No, you can’t go to the zoo or museum, but you can still experience the joys of many popular places. Several institutions are offering virtual tours and opportunities to explore their attractions – for free.
Take a moment right now to practice gratitude. Find something that makes you smile, then turn your gratitude outward.
Tips for Making Others Smile
Keep in Touch
Just because you’re not allowed to congregate in person doesn’t mean you can’t talk to people. It’s the perfect time to pick up the phone and reach out.
Embrace video calls. Reach out to friends, relatives, and neighbors through video calls. You can even set up a group chat to pull others into the mix. Bonus points if you discuss books, movies, or TV shows you’re all watching.
Get Your Neighborhood Involved
You can still practice social distancing in the middle of a lively neighborhood. Take advantage of this opportunity to connect with your neighbors.
- Create “trails” by placing items (like teddy bears or Easter eggs) in visible windows. Kids will love combing the neighborhood to “find” these treasures.
- Chalk your sidewalks and driveways with messages of hope and joy. Anybody venturing out for a walk is sure to smile at the colorful artwork.
- Choose a day to light up the night. Put lights or candles out at every home as a reminder that nobody is alone.
If you’re healthy, help somebody who is struggling. Offer to shop for people who can’t go to stores, mow their lawns, and tend to yards, so they can stay safe inside. Be careful to practice appropriate social distancing and do “no contact” drops.
You can also deliver food and supplies to quarantined families or those in need. Try to include healthcare products like hand sanitizer and tissues.
Share Your Reasons to Smile with Jefferson Dental
We should practice gratitude every day, but it feels more important than ever during these trying times. Sharing your reasons to smile is a big step in spreading gratitude.
You never know whose day you could brighten with your reason to smile. That’s why we’re asking you all to share YOUR reasons to smile with us. Connect with Jefferson Dental and Orthodontics on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to help spread gratitude. Let’s give everyone a reason to smile!