Article at a Glance
- Teeth whitening is done with bleaching procedures or non-bleaching procedures. Non-bleaching procedures, like whitening toothpastes, remove surface stains while bleaching procedures alter the color of your teeth.
- Laser whitening procedures can only be done at your dentist’s office, but benefits include faster, longer-lasting, more precise results.
- Whitening gels are peroxide-based bleaches applied to the teeth to remove stains. You can get them from your dentist or over the counter and they can be used at home when it’s convenient for you.
- When choosing the teeth whitening approach that’s right for you, it’s best to discuss your options with your dentist to ensure you don’t damage your teeth or gums.
Your smile is the first thing people notice. Who doesn’t want to show off bright, white teeth when we smile? Teeth whitening is a booming industry with options available everywhere from the grocery store to your dentist’s office. With so many choices offering varying results, how can you choose which is best for you?
How Does Teeth Whitening Work?
Though there are many options for teeth whitening, they either use a bleaching procedure or non-bleaching procedure. To make the right choice for you, it’s necessary to understand how the techniques work.
Non-bleaching options, like whitening toothpastes or charcoal whitening, rely on a physical or chemical reaction to remove surface stains. These products don’t actually whiten your teeth as much as use mild abrasives to remove external stains, like those left by coffee, wine, and tobacco.
If you hope to alter the natural color of your teeth, you would opt for a bleaching technique that can brighten your smile by several shades. These procedures use an active ingredient like carbamide peroxide or hydrogen peroxide to remove stains. There are multiple options available from whitening strips to laser whitening at your dentist’s office.
Benefits of Laser Whitening
Laser whitening is a popular option that uses lasers to accelerate the effects of whitening solutions. Only dentists can perform laser whitening, but the process is fairly simple and can be completed in about an hour. When evaluating laser teeth whitening pros and cons, it is the most expensive whitening option, but there are many benefits for laser whitening procedures.
- Results are achieved faster than other whitening options because the laser speeds up the reaction of the whitening agent.
- Laser whitening is precise and can be done on a single tooth.
- Though no whitening process is permanent, laser whitening can last from six months to a few years.
Benefits of Whitening Gel
Teeth whitening gels are clear substances applied to your teeth to remove staining. The gel can be applied with a small brush, syringe, or by applying thin, clear strips coated in it. Though whitening gels and related products can take longer to achieve ideal results, they are popular for several reasons.
- Whitening gel products come in varying strengths and many can be purchased over the counter. When selecting a whitening product, make sure it bears the ADA Seal of Approval.
- Many of these options can be done at home with little effort and as part of your daily oral care routine.
- One of the best teeth whitening gels even uses custom trays and gives you excellent results at home.
How to Choose the Whitening Approach That’s Best for You
There is a lot to consider when evaluating your choices for teeth whitening. The best place to start is with your dentist to be examined and discuss your options. Your dentist can perform an exam to look for any potential issues, answer your questions, and make teeth whitening recommendations based on your situation. There are a few things you should decide before meeting with your dentist.
- Do you prefer an over-the-counter option that you can do at home or are you more comfortable with a professional?
- How much time do you have to commit to whitening your teeth?
- What can you afford to spend on teeth whitening?
Jefferson Dental Care Teeth Whitening Options
There are many safe, effective teeth whitening treatments available. Jefferson Dental Care Clinics offer EPIC in-office laser teeth whitening and take home whitening gel trays. Laser whitening can be completed in office in approximately 20 minutes with noticeable results. The whitening trays are custom made for you will effectively remove stains from your tooth enamel.
If you’re interested in exploring these whitening options, contact the Jefferson Dental Care Clinic nearest you to schedule an appointment. Our friendly, knowledgeable team will be happy to discuss your options to help you achieve the smile you’re looking for.
Our Jefferson Dental Content Committee supports our team by educational and informational articles related to what we do, oral care tips, and current events in our communities.