It’s the most wonderful time of year! Pretty packages, plenty of lights, and Christmas trees are everywhere, but so are chocolates, hard candies, fudge, and cookies. The holidays usually involve an extra dose of sugary sweets and other naughty foods, so oral care items can make excellent gifts for your family and friends.
Not convinced? Read on to see how Christmas dental gifts can make your family smile this holiday season.
Start a New Tradition for Family Stocking Stuffers
Unique stocking stuffers are big business every year, but what usually happens to the baubles and trinkets you purchase? They often end up in the trash bin or lost in the shuffle of wrapping paper and packaging. Isn’t it time to trade your throwaway stocking stuffers for something more useful?
There are plenty of tooth-friendly alternatives that will make your family smile and help protect those pearly whites. Giving dental hygiene gifts as stocking stuffers could be the new family tradition you need. Eventually, everyone will look forward to their new toothbrushes, and they might even pass the tradition on to their kids.
Speaking of family traditions, it might be the perfect time to start another one: visiting the dentist before the New Year. Not only do you walk away with a sparkling smile, but you can also make the most of your dental benefits before they reset in January.
Oral Care Stocking Stuffers for Younger Children
Building a good oral care routine starts at a young age, and part of good oral care is swapping out your toothbrush regularly. Starting the new year with a new toothbrush can be fun and it’s a great stocking stuffer for kids. You can also create a small kit with flavored toothpaste and dental floss.
Additionally, with younger children, you can use the magic of the season to influence your kids to focus on good oral care. With all of the extra sweets, later hours, and so much excitement, it can be easy to neglect oral care. However, the holidays also give you plenty of opportunity to encourage better oral care habits.
- Santa is always watching, and that means he sees how often and how well your kiddos are brushing their teeth. You may want to remind your kids from time to time.
- Does your family have an Elf on the Shelf? Not only is your Elf a spy for Santa, they can also encourage good habits. Some Elves on the Shelf really get into oral care.
- How does Rudolph take care of his teeth? Striking up a conversation about how different holiday favorites handle oral care can be entertaining and encouraging for your kids.
Dental-Themed Stocking Stuffers for Teens
Once your kid crosses into those teenage years, many of your “naughty or nice” tricks become useless. This doesn’t mean that dental hygiene gifts won’t be expected or appreciated, you may just have to approach them a bit differently.
- Maybe it’s time for your teen to graduate to a newer toothbrush, perhaps their first electric toothbrush?
- Sleepovers and overnight camps are a big deal for teens, so a stylish overnight kit makes for a cool stocking stuffer.
- Get them a mouthwash you know they like, especially if it’s not the one you usually buy for your family to use. It’s a great way to let them know you hear them and encourage them to care for their teeth.
Has your dentist recommended braces for your teen? The holidays might be a good time to get started, and braces make an excellent gift!
Dental Gifts for Adults
You don’t want to leave out the adults in your life! If they don’t use an electric toothbrush already, that could make a thoughtful gift. There are also dental care subscription boxes that allow recipients to choose some of their own things (like toothbrush color and toothpaste flavor.
Have you been eyeing the new smart toothbrushes? Maybe it’s the time to invest in a cool new toothbrush for the special adults in your life. You can always pick up one for yourself while you’re at it!
Read more: How oral health affects pregnancy
Don’t Neglect Your Teeth Over the Holidays
Holiday sweets are some of the most delectable morsels available to humans. It’s the time of year when we humans go wild with food and drink. Between office parties and family get-togethers, there’s a smorgasbord around every corner. Just remember to mind your teeth so you don’t end up regretting it in the new year ahead.
- Enjoy some holiday treats, but be mindful of your teeth when you do. If you can’t brush right away, at least drink water to help wash away the excess sugars and food debris.
- Be wary about pumpkin spice lattes and other holiday specials because they have loads of sugar coupled with high acidity in the coffee.
- Limit the alcohol because most alcoholic drinks come with downsides for your teeth. Whether they’re sugary sweet or highly acidic, you want to limit their effects and take extra care of your teeth after partaking.
- Schedule a dental check-up. It’s a great way to use dental benefits before the end of the year and make sure your smile is camera-ready for pictures!
The team at Jefferson Dental & Orthodontics hopes you and your family will have a safe and enjoyable holiday season. If you’re in need of a little holiday magic, find the office nearest you, then schedule a check-up and professional teeth cleaning.