Article at a Glance
- If you want to skip the bad breath for your Valentine’s Day kiss, try a good mouthwash, sugarless gum with xylitol, or flavored lip gloss in addition to your regular oral care routine.
- Teeth whitening will brighten your smile and make you more confident for your big date.
- It’s a good idea to avoid foods that are high-carb and opt for those heavy in veggies, especially greens to help protect your teeth and cut down on bad breath.
- Make an appointment for a cleaning if you haven’t had one in a while.
- Don’t skip good oral care after you’ve enjoyed Valentine’s Day Sweets!
Valentine’s Day means chocolate, candy hearts, and intimate date nights. It’s a day devoted to sweets and being close to your special someone, so you want to be sure your mouth is Valentine’s Day ready.
Read more: 11 Foods to Improve Your Oral Health
Oral Care Tips To Make The Most Of Your Valentine’s Day
Whether you’re wondering how to get good breath for kissing or hoping for a confidence boost, these five tips will help you prepare for Valentine’s Day.
Bad Breath Busters
You don’t want to worry about bad breath when you’re ready to pucker up for a Valentine’s Day kiss with your sweetheart. Make sure you’re using good teeth brushing techniques, flossing regularly, and rinsing with mouthwash. If you’re concerned that your normal routine isn’t going to do the trick for Valentine’s Day, try some of these additional options for fighting bad breath.
- Stay hydrated all day because dehydration can actually cause bad breath!
- Carry a small bottle of alcohol-free mouthwash with you. It’s easy to do a quick rinse when you stop at the restroom.
- Skip the after-dinner coffee and choose tea instead. Tea actually helps fight bacteria. Bonus points if you order a peppermint flavored tea.
- Try sugarless gum or a breath gel with xylitol.
- Apply a flavored lip gloss to help mask strong odors until you have a chance to brush and floss.
- Try a home remedy for bad breath. Combine apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, and water for a drink that not only kills the bacteria that causes bad breath but also helps you digest whatever Valentine’s foods you eat!
Brightening your smile can certainly be done anytime, but why not now? Check into teeth whitening at your dentist to get that sparkling smile you’ve been dreaming about just in time for an extra confidence boost on Valentine’s Day.
Foods To Avoid
Whether you’re going out or cooking a fancy meal for two at home, it’s important to really consider the menu. While some foods may be special to you and your date, you want to consider how certain dishes could have a negative effect on your plans.
- When selecting your meal, opt for something low-carb and heavy on the veggies to help offset bad breath. Greens and other vegetables help your teeth and gums in many ways.
- You may want to ease off the garlic, onion and curry.
- Skip the after-dinner coffee because it does more than cause bad breath, it can also irritate your digestive system.
The Importance Of Cleanings
Have you had your teeth professionally cleaned lately? If you can’t remember the last time you’ve had your teeth cleaned, or you’re due for another cleaning, it might be a good idea to sneak in before Valentine’s Day. Since you should have your teeth professionally cleaned twice a year, it’s as good a time as any to have any plaque or tartar buildup removed. You’ll be making your mouth happy and your date will appreciate it, too!
Caring For Teeth After Valentine’s Day Sweets
Chocolates, caramels, candy hearts, and more are all at your fingertips for Valentine’s Day. It’s difficult not to indulge a little, especially if you receive sweets as gifts. Just remember to put a little extra care into your oral care afterwards. If you didn’t make it into your dentist before Valentine’s Day, maybe you can make an appointment after to offset the effects of the sweets.
How Jefferson Dental Can Help
Jefferson Dental Care can help you achieve the smile you desire for Valentine’s Day. If you’re feeling less than confident, consider some of the cosmetic improvements or at least a good professional cleaning.
Whether you’re looking to make some minor adjustments or something more involved, we are available to help you achieve the smile of your dreams. We want you to have a clean, fresh, healthy smile that will make you feel confident this Valentine’s Day.
- Teeth whitening can be done in office or with custom-made trays that you take home.
- If you’re missing a tooth or teeth and tired of the problems eating, speaking, and smiling, we can discuss the option for dental implants.
- Veneers are another option for improving your teeth by hiding imperfections, making small teeth look larger, and brightening teeth that are stained or discolored.