Article at a Glance
- Create an organized checklist that details everything to be done room by room and put it where the whole family can see.
- Try some tips and hacks to lighten your load and consider hiring professionals for some chores.
- Don’t forget to spring clean your teeth to keep you smiling all summer!
Spring is finally here! It’s time to open your windows to welcome in the fresh air and sunlight. For most people, the beginning of spring is also time for a big clean. Spring cleaning is about deep cleaning, reorganizing, and giving new life to your home after a long winter.
When to Start Spring Cleaning
Spring cleaning can seem overwhelming, so it’s easy to procrastinate or skip it altogether. However, if you make a plan and break down your tasks into manageable chunks, it can be well worth your time and effort. Think about how great it will feel to put away those cold weather clothes, purge some excess things, and give your home a refresh.
You can start spring cleaning anytime though most people start in March or April. However, this isn’t always the best choice for everyone. If you’re wondering when to start spring cleaning, consider weather conditions. Plan deep cleaning and tasks that require you to be outdoors on days you can open the windows. It’s better to wash your windows on a cloudy day so the sun doesn’t dry them too fast.
Creating Your Spring Cleaning Checklist
How do you decide what to clean each spring? Create a spring cleaning checklist that the whole family can see. This way, you’ll all know what needs to be done and it will help you stay on top of things.
- Go room by room to assess what needs to be done. Maybe you did a remodel in one room over the winter and know that it needs little or no time.
- Order your room lists by how much time it will take to do the tasks to help manage your time.
- Highlight chores that would save you time or stress by hiring professionals and those that need to be done by experts for safety reasons.
- Think about what tasks need to be done in every room, like baseboards and floors, so you can do all of them at once.
- Review your stock of cleaning supplies and make sure you have everything you need before getting started on a chore. It’s never good to get elbow deep in grime only to find you’re missing something!
Remember, not everything has to be done in one day or weekend. Break things up and share the load. Fit in smaller tasks where you can and save the bigger chores for the weekend.
Spring Cleaning Tips and Hacks
There are plenty of spring cleaning tips for every aspect of your house, but some challenges seem universal. How do you clean your curtains? What about those sticky floors? Should you do something about your mattress?
- Curtains can be lightly cleaned with a lint roller or run through the dryer (on air-fluff) with a damp towel for a deeper clean.
- Ceiling fans can collect a lot of dust over the winter. Use a pillowcase over the fan blade and wipe outward. All of the dust will land in the pillowcase!
- Chrome, glass, and stainless-steel appliances can be cleaned with a 50/50 mixture of rubbing alcohol and water.
- To leave your refrigerator smelling fresh, combine salt and soda water to clean the insides and shelves.
- Dirty grout in the bathroom can be cleaned with a baking soda and peroxide paste.
- Cleaning faucets and showerheads is easy enough with a 50/50 mixture of white vinegar and water.
- You should clean your mattress a few times per year. Sprinkle baking soda over the mattress, let sit for a few hours, then vacuum. For a little extra, add some essential oil to your baking soda.
- For those who don’t want to use high-chemical cleaning supplies, there are alternatives using basic items you can find around your house, like lemons and tennis balls.
- If you’re still struggling to get something clean, try Good Housekeeping or HGTV for reliable, creative solutions.
Spring Cleaning for Your Teeth
Spring is a great time for a check-up and regular teeth cleaning. You can also explore options for teeth whitening or other cosmetic improvements to get the smile of your dreams in time for summer. The friendly professionals at Jefferson Dental Care can help! Make an appointment at the Jefferson Dental Care Clinic nearest you to get started today.